BBox Radio Won the Not Just a Container Contest
Photo Courtesy of Dekalb Market
With music, activities for kids, and lots of shopping, downtown Brooklyn’s new Dekalb Market also features an incubator farm, an Internet radio station, food vendors and more housed outdoors and in retrofitted shipping containers.
Dekalb Market opened in July on Fulton Mall in Downtown Brooklyn, at the intersection of Flatbush and Willoughby, near Fort Greene.
“We’re creating a central location in Brooklyn for commerce, art and design, as well as a functioning green space for people in the neighborhood to enjoy,” says Eldon Scott, President of Urban Space, which is launching the market as part of a collaboration.
What you’ll find at Dekalb Market:
1. Dekalb Farm – An educational resource for the public and the urban agricultural community, Dekalb Farm will be a small urban farm operated by local farmers and education partners, including Family Cooks Productions, 3rd Ward, New York City College of Technology, The Brooklyn Grange, Newton Farm Cooperative, Malcolm X Grassroots Movement, and Atom’s Eco. The farm’s produce will be incorporated into on-site cooking demos, food vendors’ recipes, a local university’s culinary arts program and into a community “food security” distribution plan.
2. BBOX Radio – A community Internet radio station that will be broadcasting live, online and on-site from their container at the Dekalb Market. Radio show submissions are currently being accepted. Visit www.bboxradio.com for more information.
3. Food – Vendors include Cheeky’s, Cuzin’s Duzin, Joe the Art of Coffee, Maharlika, Mazie’s Bites, Nile Valley Juice & Sandwiches, Pasticcio, Robicelli’s, Sour Puss Pickles, and The Tea Box.
4. Shops – Locally-owned designers and purveyors, including B66, Brooklyn Rock, Daga Antiques, Hank & JoJo, Harriet’s by Hekima, Honeysuckle & Hearts, kudu-lah, Little Poco, Pratt Design Incubator and Yakblak Specs & Sunnies.
5. Weekend Market – A unique mix of makers, artisans and producers will also set up at the Dekalb Market’s weekend market, in custom-made market stalls, which will be open on Saturdays and Sundays.
6. Events – A variety of events featuring local entertainment and community programs will appear throughout the week.
For more information, visit www.dekalbmarket.com