Tues., Sept. 6th: Highlander movie at Valentino Pier on the Brooklyn waterfront.
Enjoy the still warm weather while you watch the immortals fight to the end — in kilts! Plus, it’s a great film for New York City spotting. And, there’s the Queen soundtrack. Brought to you by Red Hook Films and sponsored by Pickett Furniture.
8:30 p.m, free
If it rains, they will be at Bait & Tackle, located on the corner of Pioneer and Van Brunt Streets.
Valentino Pier in Louis Valentino Junior Park
Red Hook: map
Directions from Manhattan
Option 1: The A or F trains
1. Take the A/C or F train to Jay Street/Borough Hall station.
2. Exit and walk down Jay Street to the B61 bus stop in front of the Brooklyn Tabernacle (Jay Street between Livingston and Fulton streets).
3.Take the B61 into Red Hook to Coffey Street.
4. Walk two blocks toward the water and you’ll run into Valentino Pier.
Note: Expect the bus trip to take approximately 25 minutes.
Option 2: The 2/3 or 4/5 trains
1. Take either of these lines to the Borough Hall station.
2. Exit and walk down Court Street approximately four blocks toward Atlantic Avenue. (If you pass Barnes & Noble and the movie theater, you are walking the correct direction.)
3. Catch the B61 bus in front of the Duane Reade on the corner.
4. Follow steps 3 and 4 above.
Option 3: Take the Ikea water taxi
1. Board ferry at Pier 11 in Manhattan
2. Exit the ferry and walk along the waterfront to Beard Street (major street running in front of Ikea).
3. Turn left and walk two blocks to Van Brunt Street.
4. Turn right on Van Brunt and walk one block to Van Dyke Street.
5. Turn left and walk two more blocks to Valentino Pier. Expect this to be a brisk 10 minute walk.
Note: The last ferry to Brooklyn runs at 7:20 p.m. It does not return to Manhattan after the movie.
DIRECTIONS BY CAR/TAXI:
1. Take the BQE to the Atlantic Avenue exit.
2. As you come off the ramp, the road will split. Continue straight, do not curve toward the right.
3. At the stop sign, turn left and follow Columbia Street to its end. (You’ll see the entrance to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel).
4. Turn right and follow the road hard right, do not curve to the left as most traffic will.
5. Go two blocks to the stop light. You’ll see a warehouse on the corner with a giant Red Hook sign.
6. Turn left onto Van Brunt Street.
7. Take this to Van Dyke Street and turn right. Go two blocks.
8. Park at Valentino Pier.